A chronicaling of my perpetual desire to escape (and the shenanigans that inevitably ensue)

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Random Happening of the Day (III)

As I've mentioned before I live in an old Queenslander house. For those who don't know, that means one of the designe features of the house is that it has tons of windows and no A/C. You just open the windows strategically to get the breeze to move through the house the way you want to cool certain rooms.

Well, none of these windows have screens so any time we pulled food out to cook all the flies started hanging around the kitchen and dinning room. It took about 2 days before I decided this was unacceptable. I did some research and it turns out flies don't like the smell of basil.

So I went to the Bunnings(Australian equivalent of Home Depo/Lowes) to get some basil plants to ward off the flies, and extra benefit, fresh basil in the kitchen! I went up to two guys standing out in the gardening section of the store and asked, "Do you guys stock any basil(bay-zul)?"

The first guy looks at me kinda funny and replies, "I'm not sure, I've never heard of it. Let me go check with my supervisor," and starts to run off.

I watched him walk away and turned to the second one thinking there is now way these guys have never heard of basil so I asked the second one, "Sorry, do you have any basil(baz-el)?"

"Dude! She's looking for baz-el!"

"Oh, baz-el! Yeah, we've got that right over here."

I can only imagine more of these delightful verbal misunderstanding will follow in the year to come.

Meet the gang:

No comments:

Post a Comment